Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Classical Migraine Attack

It starts off with a blur.A blur in the field of vision.This blur slowly transforms into a geometric pattern.At first its just a tiny formation.Its borders move and there is some kind of motion inside it.Then ever so slowly it grows.It starts spreading.It can go anywhere in the field of vision.To the extreme right or in the middle.Anywhere.All the while it grows, normal vision is blocked by it.As I have had many attacks before, as soon as I see this geometric pattern(technically called Aura) a sense of dread creeps into me.I know I am in for a very painful time for the next 4 or 5 hours.I drop whatever I am doing and rush to my room.The pattern slowly settles down in some area and continues to have that motion inside it.The last time the attack happened it settled down in the left side of my vision and blocked that area off completely.To me it looked like I was bleeding or crying from my left eye.As soon as I reach my room I change clothes and settle down on the bed.I know I wont be getting any sleep,only pain and uneasy restlessness for the next one hour.After exactly an hour I Vomit.I vomit with such intensity it feels as if my very life is being dragged out from the depths of my body.Standing up becomes a difficulty.I grab whatever is around me and go on with it.Whatever I eat in the last three or four hours comes out.Sometimes,If I am lucky it ends with one period of vomiting.But sometimes it takes three or even four.After this is over I feel somewhat relaxed.The worst part is over.Now remains the headache.It has no specific time frame.It may go on for hours or even days.It takes two or three days to completely relax.That is how a Classical Migraine Attack is and I had enough of those to tell you that it is very,very painful.
  I had my first attack back in my Intermediate days 6 years ago.From then on they happen every time some trigger acts up.Weakness is my main trigger.Every migraine sufferer has some triggers.Those should be identified and avoided.I wrote this post for the people who would like to know what exactly happens during a Classical migraine attack.This is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment