Thursday, February 28, 2013

Why do I like Korean Movies?


People have often asked me why I like Korean dramas and movies so much.Before I answer that question in this blog post,let me go over my story about how I discovered them and come to like it so much.
         This whole post is straight from my heart and you may find it a bit naive but let me tell you this is my story of how I felt and how I received the movies.You may or may not agree with my observations but the circumstances around the whole thing shaped my thinking and my liking.So here goes.
         One fine day during my third year of Engineering,my brother handed me two Korean movies,namely 'A moment to Remember' and 'My Sassy Girl'.The former had my now favourite actress,'Son Ye Jin'.I am always open to experimenting and used to watch other languages movies sometimes.Having watched a couple of Iranian movies recently and finding them interesting,I thought why not try these Korean movies now.At that time my internal exams were going on. In spite of that I watched the movies.Though the latter movie was very famous not only in South Korea but also in the whole of Asia,I liked the former better.
Lets talk about it here.Its a touching and emotionally moving story about how a young couple's happy marriage is turned upside down when the wife is diagnosed with Alzhemiers. Its a great movie with fine performances and a moving storyline.Those who have seen the movie may point out the number of clichés the movie had but even then the use of those clichés was effective and it moved me a lot.The story had beautiful chemistry between the leads and the whole story was clean,unlike many western movies
Generally I am very much affected by intense movies,they make me think about the movie and its issues for days to an end.This happened with this film too.I couldn't concentrate on my studies for the next three days.Also when I strongly feel about something I tend to do anything related to it.I think what I can do about it to make the feeling go away.I really wanted to help that woman or anybody with Alzhemiers. Now this may look naive but I resolved to do two things from then onwards,watch more Korean movies and the other of forming a club to do whatever social work I could do.The latter idea only grew bigger with time.From then onwards I went on to watch hundreds of K-movies and a handful of dramas and I don't regret my time spent on watching them.
     One day I was dining with my friends in a hotel and I told them about my new found love for Korean movies and extolled them to watch the same.They then questioned me as what I saw in them that I loved them so much.I replied that I simply love the romance and also that I learnt so much from them.One of my friends then asked me to explain one point.All I could say was that I gained a new perspective of life.At that time that was all I could think of,further discussion was interrupted by the arrival of more friends and the discussion meandered off to other topics.At that time the only movies that came to my mind were 'A moment to Remember','The Classic,and 'Failan' and I based my answer on them.
That was the conversation that led to my thinking about the whole thing and that resulted in this post.
        Now you could argue that similar movies from Hollywood could have inspired me too,but the thing is they did not. There is something about the pure and simple romance of the Korean movies that is just mesmerising.Its not for nothing that Korean movies are appreciated worldwide for their romances.Two things that struck a chord with me are,one as I said before their pure,simple and clean romance and point two is that their culture and tradition matches with that of India's. To cite an example the way they give respect to elders.The way they have separate names for calling elder brother(oppa) and elder sister(unni) and there are many other examples.They give importance to their culture the way Indians also do.This forms the core of my liking them.
           These days some of my friends and my sister are onto Korean movies and she even calls me oppa sometimes.We call our grandfather as Harabhushi (among ourselves and not in front of him) after we heard that word in that wonderful drama 'Heartstrings'.I formed and joined some on line clubs for discussing Korean dramas and movies and will continue to encourage other people to watch them.

2 comments:

  1. I truly agree , Korean movies have a lot to say , Ive watched quite a few myself before starting my graduation., One of my freinds encouraged me and we watched them together.

    ReplyDelete